Alumni News Round-Up: Week of June 24, 2017
Here’s our round-up of alumni news from the week of June 24, 2017:
- Emily Martin (’17) won this year’s Bobby Chandler High School Student Award, which is given to a single high school student in Virginia who has distinguished themselves for historical research and scholarship. Emily received the award for the oral history project she put together for Mr. Wilkes’ historiography class. Emily’s research focused on the Richmond LGBT community’s emergent activism and factionalism in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Per Mr. Wilkes, Emily is the fourth MLWGS graduate to win the award, joining previous winners Jessica Zappia (’03), Andre Grimes (’04), and Daniel Daniel H. Yoo (’13).
- RVA Mag interviewed Ashley Hawkins (’03) about Studio Two Three, as it rolls out S23 To-Go and moves forward on its planned expansion.
- Dentist Donnie Murry (’02) has a new podcast! Are You Numb Yet? is a trip into the lives of dentists– the good, bad, ugly, and funny.
- Ryan Buscaglia (’17) and Mary Caroline Heinen (’20) made All-Metro in outdoor track.
- Matt Goldman (’98) has been hired as the MLWGS boys volleyball coach.
- Mollie Marr (’00) wrote about visiting Capitol Hill to speak with lawmakers about the role of the NIH in educating future scientists as part of the Society for Neuroscience’s Capitol Day.
- ICYMI: we interviewed Dr. Kevin Fogg (’01), who currently teaches at Oxford University.
- ICYMI: read about our 2016-17 Alumni Annual Fund Campaign.