Grant Spotlight: Student Aid
Increasing the reach and utilization of our student aid funding category has been one of the Foundation Board’s goals for the past several years. We’re happy to say that we’ve seen a significant increase in student aid grant applications submitted and funded this year. It’s the view of the Foundation that every student at MLWGS should have access to the school-related opportunities they want to pursue without associated costs becoming a barrier. Every student worked hard to get here, and we this will remove one obstacle that may get in the way of their ability to make the most of it. Here are some of the expenses we’ve been able to cover or offset for students in financial need so far this fiscal year:
- $4955 worth of student fees for 23 students (student fees can cover everything from P.E. uniforms to workbooks to dual enrollment course costs)
- club dues
- a Homecoming ticket
- costs for the bus for the annual art department trip to DC for one student
- purchase of one yearbook
- SAT reporting fees for a student who qualified for fee waivers but is exceeding the number of waivers allotted
- cost of the art department field trip to New York City for three students
- cost of the spring music department field trip to New Orleans for four students
- cost of class-related travel for one student
All told, our student aid spending so far is nearing $14,000, with more expenses to come. Not included in this list are items that by the nature of their descriptions may provide identifying information about the recipient. All student aid requests are handled strictly by the MLWGS administration. In other words, we as the Foundation do not know the identity of the students receiving aid. The privacy of students and their families is of the utmost importance to us and to the administration. If you think student aid funding could be helpful to your student, contact Dr. Wendy Ellis.
To support student aid and everything else the Foundation does to enrich the MLWGS experience for students and faculty, make a contribution to our 2017-18 annual fund.