Patricia E. Taylor Teaching Award for International Experiences
Application Guidelines 2017-18
OVERVIEW OF AWARD PROGRAM
The Patricia E. Taylor Teaching Award for International Experiences (“Taylor Teaching Award”) will award a cash grant of up to $7,500 to a Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School for Government & International Studies (“MLWGS”) teacher for a summer international travel experience that will have a direct impact upon his or her classroom instruction.
The recipient of the Taylor Teaching Award will be selected by a committee appointed by the Governor’s School Foundation (“Foundation”). The summer international travel experience must be completed before the start of school the following fall, when the recipient will present to his/her colleagues on the educational experience and how it will be integrated into his/her classroom. Recipients will also make an evening presentation to the Richmond Alumni Chapter during the fall.
- An applicant shall be a current employee of the Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School for Government & International Studies who is a full-time (4 classes or more) instructional teacher.
- Applicants must be on continuing contract with at least 3 years teaching experience at MLWGS.
- Applicants must have received their gifted endorsement.
- Once an applicant has received the Taylor Teaching Award, he or she will not be eligible for consideration again for the next 10 years.
- Quality of the proposed travel experience and its instructional uses;
- Feasibility of the plan;
- Detail of the budget;
- Clarity of applicant’s objectives;
- Capacity of proposal to significantly impact student instruction;
- Quality of anticipated measurable student outcomes;
- Impact on school community;
- Relative value of this proposal as compared to others submitted; and
- Evidence of commitment to the students of the MLWGS and to the mission of the school.
Application forms will be made available to teachers by the Governor’s School Foundation in October 2017. To be considered complete, all applications must include a current professional resume detailing education and work experience.
The completed application (including a current professional resume) must be received in paper form in the Governor’s School Foundation and Alumni Office (MLWGS room 225) or via email to sstora@MLWGSFoundation.org on or before 3:30 PM, Friday, December 8, 2017.
A selection committee appointed by the Governor’s School Foundation will review the submitted applications and resumes, and they will make a recommendation to the Governor’s School Foundation Executive Committee. The decisions of the Governor’s School Foundation Executive Committee are final.
The selection committee will consist of individuals familiar with MLWGS, but who are not current or former employees, alumni, current parents, or alumni parents.
The award will be announced at the February faculty meeting and appropriately publicized.